The Great Hall was the abbey church and occupies the northeast corner to the Quadrangle. While a church, the Romanesque structure underwent several interior remodelings - and served the worshiping community's needs until 1961. The mural of Christ in the apse, painted by Clement Frischauf, a monk of Saint John's, during the last renovation in 1938, dominates the room. It is one of the fore-most examples of Beuronese art in the United States. The stained glass windows were installed when the building was completed and depict symbols from the Hebrew and Christian scriptures as well as images of men and women Benedictine saints. The Great Hall is now the place where guests of the abbey, university, and preparatory school are greeted, and contains the information desk. It is also a general gathering place and scene of social, religious, educational, and artistic functions. Guests may buy Saint John's Bread at the information desk.
Copyright © 2009 College of Saint Benedict (37 South College Avenue, St. Joseph, Minnesota 56374; 320-363-5011) and
Saint John's University (P.O. Box 2000, Collegeville, Minnesota 56321; 320-363-2011). All rights reserved.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers. E-mail the CSB/SJU Web Coordinator.